Friday, March 16, 2007

Top Things I Learned While in Germany

My job requires I travel a great deal. I don't really like this aspect of my job as it keeps me away from home. On the bright side, it does broaden my world view and lets me see how other people live on planet Earth

Normally I travel within the United States. Occasionally I travel overseas. During my career I've travel to England, Korea, Hong Kong, and Greece on business. On vacations I've visited Canada (not really a foreign country), Mexico, Scotland, and Ireland. I place California as an honorary foreign country list. While marginally part of the US it is, well, out there.

Today I'm in Germany for two weeks. I'm staying in Mainz City on the Rhein River. Mainz is a pleasant, old city which houses many museums and fine restaurants. Mainz was a major Roman fortress and the city has many museums dedicated to that time period. The city also houses the Gutenberg Museum with some of the original Gutenberg bibles on display. Basically, the city has a lot to offer any tourist.

From what I've seen so far, the rest of he country is equally as nice. The food is outstanding here. Never have I found a country that can cook steak like Germany. I come from Texas and from a family of ranchers. While I prefer my steak spiced differently than the Germans, I can't fault their selection of meat or their cooking method. When you order a medium steak here its medium all the way through. Heck, most Texas steak houses can't do that.

I think Germany has the best bread in the world. I'm on a diet. Correction, I was on a diet. The diet has suffered greatly here. For you see, Germans eat a lot of sausage, bread, cheese and potatoes. None of this is on my diet but I can't seem to stop eating it.

I haven't tried the beer yet. I know it to be good as I've had it in the past. I drink wine mostly these days and I have to say German wine is pretty good.

And so, on this St. Patrick's Day, I have a confession to make. Ireland has been replaced by Germany as favorite foreign country. In Germany the people are nice, the beer flows freely, and the countryside beautiful. My apologies Ireland, Germany blows you away in all categories.

So, now, the part you've been waiting for. Top ten things I've learned while in Germany.

1) German drivers are polite but fast. If you use your turn signal a German driver will slow down and let you in. In Austin a turn signal usually leads to the other driver speeding up and close the gap. The fast yet polite statement, at first glance, may seem to be a bit of an oxymoron but I think I have an analogy that fits; an armed society is a polite society. In the same vein, a fast driver is a polite driver in Germany.

2) 90% of all German work out clothes ( bike shorts, sweats, t-shirts ) are black.

3) The river Rhein is beautiful and rightly part of the World Heritage of Mankind.

4) Germans love sour kraut. For some reason I find this funny.

5) Germans are friendly and helpful. They smile when you try to speak their language and reply to you in English.

6) German waiters consider it rude if you leave their tip on the table. You should hand it do them. The tips here are smaller, only 5-10% of the tab.

7) German words make sense. Their language often puts words together to form a noun. This makes it an easy language to read once you learn the 'base' words.

8) Germans have a good world view. It is a proper mix of pragmatism and optimism.

9) Never present a German a problem unless you intend for him to solve it. He may take days but he will come up with a solution.

10) German food is Wundervoll!

No comments: