Sunday, April 1, 2007

Magical Anniversery

Since I travel for work, I accumulate a lot of travel points for airlines and hotels. For my wedding anniversary, I decided to cash a few of these in to give the wife a special night out.

We dropped Zack of at his grandmother's house for an all too infrequent night out alone.

I started with making reservations at the Austin Hilton. I'm a diamond member of their frequent stayer program so I requested a complementary upgrade to suite. Luckily for me, I got it. The room was near the top floor so we had a marvelous view of the city.

I also ordered flowers for the wife, a nice bouquet of flowers in her favorite color. She was so impressed with the suite that she, at first, did not notice them. I mentioned that it looked like we had some flowers. She read the card and gave me a big hug and smooch.

I had another surprise that was due to arrive so I thought we should leave before things took off and we'd get an embarrassing knock at the door in the middle of something. I told her we had access to the executive lounge and that they had food and wine up there. We were both starving so the ruse worked. By the time we got back to the room, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were on the living room table.

It was truely a great day. As planned, around nine, we left and picked up Zack so we could go swimming. He was asleep by the time we reached the hotel. Deb and I were beat from a hard day of having a good time so we all went to bed.

I woke up at 4 a.m. and looked out the window over Austin, Texas. I was so shocked by the beauty of the skyline and the full moon I snapped a cell phone picture of it. Sadly, the picture doesn't do the image any sort of justice and so this blog is more for me than anyone else. Now I can look and remember one magical night with the woman I picked to share my life.

So how does someone top such a magical night? Well, for her birthday I'm flying her and Zack ot France thanks to Frequent Flyer miles. Usually travel is a pain in the arse. But its times like these that it doesn't seem so bad.