Saturday, December 16, 2006

Diabetes and Me

I'm not a diabetic... yet.

Thanks to my mother's fine southern cooking and an addiction to Dr. Pepper I'm sure this disease looms on the horizon and its not just my diet. Both my mother, older sister and brother have some form of blood sugar issue so the deck is stacked against me. My weight is another issue, while I'm losing the excess pounds now, its only a matter of time before genetics and a bad diet catch up with me.

I was therefor pleased to read the following article. It looks as though the disease might be related to bad nerve impulses being sent to the brain from the pancreas. Seems odd but the doctors in the article were amazed at the result of deadening those nerves in mice with diabetes.

What's more, they think asthma might have a similar cure. Truly good news from our neighbors to the north.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf&k=63970

No comments: