Saturday, December 8, 2012

Music Converter - OggConvert

From my last post you know that I'm ripping my CDs to my computer and using Google Music to put it in the cloud. Google does not support some of the music I've previously exported from a windows machines. I presume it has something about the Microsoft codecs being proprietary.

The open version for media files is OGG which is a free, open container format maintained by the Xiph.Org Foundation. The Ogg format is an unrestricted by software patents and is designed to provide for efficient streaming and manipulation of high quality digital multimedia. The Ogg container format can multiplex a number of independent streams for audio, video, text (such as subtitles), and metadata.



To convert my wma formatted music files to OGG Vorbis format, I use OggConvert from the Ubuntu software center. The program is very easy to use. You simply select the file to be transformed and it does the rest. My only real issue was that it wouldn't do more than one file at once.

Below is a screenshot of the program.


As I'm finding, you'll have plenty of time to convert as you read your collection into your computer. This makes for a good time-killer.

Cheers,
Zack's Dad

No comments: